Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Wednesdays with Words: Les Mis

I'm about two thirds of the way through Les Miserables. Victor Hugo is truly a masterful writer. I am enjoying this mammoth of a book so much that I think I'll be sorry to finish it. 

Here are a some words that especially struck me:
He could say the loftiest things in the simplest language; and as he could speak all dialects, his words penetrated every soul. 

"Man has a body that is both his burden and his temptation. He drags it along and gives in to it. He ought to watch over it and keep it in bounds, repress it, and obey it only as a last resort. It may be wrong to obey it even then, but if so the fault is venial. It is a fall, but a fall onto the knees, which may end in prayer."

....nothing is more dangerous than discontinued labor; it is habit lost. A habit easy to abandon, difficult to resume.  
 


1 comment:

  1. Lofty ideas in simple language, indeed. And how true about habit. Welcome back! <3

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy feedback and discussion, so please don't hesitate to comment!