Friday, June 12, 2015

Waiting...

I sat down to write this post with the intention of complaining. I wanted to vent about how I have such a hard time at the end of pregnancy waiting for labor to begin. I wanted to write about how every minute feels like and hour and days seem interminable. Distraction doesn't seem to work well and I feel irritated and uncomfortable and frankly, I feel annoyed that I'm still pregnant! 

You'd think that by the fifth time around I'd learn to accept this. That by now I would know that an estimated due date is just that - estimated. A particular day on the calendar does not determine when this baby will arrive. I could potentially be sitting around being pregnant for another week or so. 

As I think about all this, I have begun to realize that this waiting time is actually a gift. Waiting provides me with the opportunity to live presently, and to be aware of every passing minute. If I can let go of the annoyance and the discomfort that comes along with late pregnancy, I can really take the time to enjoy and revel in these last days that I have with my other four children. If I am willing I can give them a bit of extra attention and let them know that they are still special to me. I can continue with our normal day to day life without having to deal with the upheaval that a new family member brings along with them. 

So perhaps, by the grace of God, I can take these last few days as a gift. I can let go of the impatience that I've allowed to enter in and just be thankful for this quiet time. After all, the next thing I know I'll be wondering impatiently when I'll next be able to have any quiet time at all! 

5 comments:

  1. You are in our prayers Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how that feels. I'll be praying for you. In the mean time, think about your baby in terms of Psalm 139:16. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement, Nelleke. I did look up the verse and it was so appropriate. Especially since I'd just had a conversation with my brother about the same thing :)

      Delete
  3. Just checking in ... hope all is well and you're enjoying baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn. Yes, Baby is here and we are working out how to adjust. So far so good- thank God!

      Delete

I really enjoy feedback and discussion, so please don't hesitate to comment!