Monday, December 15, 2014

Songs of Comfort

For those of my readers who do not know, I have always been very involved with the music in my church. Singing brings me great joy and I have been blessed to have the even greater joy of being able to use my voice for the glory of God by singing in my own parish.

With a friend of mine I recently recorded an album of some of our favorite hymns. We chose the theme of songs of comfort, but that theme didn't really narrow the choices down because it seems that all our hymns are comforting! However, we did our best to choose some well known favorites as well as some that perhaps have not been recorded before.

I am sharing a sample from the album here, and I may possibly post one or two more in the near future. This one is taken from Saturday night Vespers and is comprised of the verses of several psalms, but it begins with Psalm 140 (141). It ends with a hymn to the Theotokos, which I've included below since the words might not be familiar:

Glory to Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now, and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Let us praise Mary the Virgin, glory of all the world and doorway to heaven, who, begotten of man, gave birth to the Lord, and who, adornment of the faithful, is hymned by the angelic hosts. For she has been shown to be heaven and the temple of the Godhead. She is the one who, breaking down the wall of enmity, ushered in peace and threw open the Kingdom. With her as the anchor of our faith, we have a defender in the Lord to whom she gave birth. Take courage, therefore, people of God, take courage, for he, the Almighty, will defeat your enemies.

I hope you enjoy it!




(The cd is available for purchase. If you are interested in buying a copy you may contact Bonnie Harmon (bonniewharmon@gmail.com). The proceeds will go to benefit the founding of the St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco Orthodox School.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy feedback and discussion, so please don't hesitate to comment!