Wednesday, December 17, 2014

My Most Gracious Queen

Another song from the Songs of Comfort cd.

This one is a hymn to the Mary, the Theotokos. I am always a little hesitant to write much about her here. Not because I think she's unimportant, but rather because she is so important that I feel as though my words are totally inadequate to be able to help my non-Orthodox readers to understand.

She was not just any young girl, chosen by God to bear His Son without any input on her part. Rather, Gabriel announced God's intention and her assent forever changed the course of history. She is the great example of what it really means to be a follower of Christ and now because of her faithfulness she holds a place of great honor in the Church. She is more than just a holy woman - she was the one who bore God in her own body.

And so her prayers are powerful. She is the Queen of Heaven, and the greatest intercessor on behalf of all Christians. We look to her to pray for us, knowing that her prayers are truly heard because she is the very Mother of God.

Here are the words of the hymn:


My Most Gracious Queen, my hope, O Theotokos;
Who receivest the orphaned and art the intercessor for the stranger;
The joy of those in sorrow, Protectress of the wronged.
See my distress, see my affliction.
Help me for I am helpless, feed me for I am a stranger and pilgrim.
You know my offense; forgive and resolve it as you will,
For I know no other help but you; no other intercessor,
No gracious comforter, only you O Theotokos,
To guard and protect me, for ages of ages. Amen. 





(The cd is available for purchase. If you are interested in buying a copy you may contact Bonnie Harmon (bonniewharmon@gmail.com). The proceeds will go to benefit the founding of the St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco Orthodox School.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy feedback and discussion, so please don't hesitate to comment!