Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Wednesdays with Words :: Dry Spells

Linking up with Dawn for Wednesdays with Words.

I picked up a little prayer book from my church bookstore on Sunday. It's called The Ascetic Lives of Mothers by Annalisa Boyd. It's a beautiful book full of prayers that are especially pertinent when faced with the many challenges of motherhood. I especially loved this paragraph from the introduction (the bolded is my emphasis):
Have I always been faithful in prayer? No. I have gone through spells where prayer felt almost like torture. It was dry and forced. But forced does not equate to unfruitful. Many times it is in the desert where we are most strengthened, and much good fruit is produced on the other end of those dry times - in spite of, or perhaps because of, the struggle. 

I immediately thought of Saint Mary of Egypt, who lived for forty-seven years in the desert. Forty-seven years. And the first seventeen years were spent in severe and constant struggle with her passions.

Then there were Saints Joachim and Anna, parents of the Virgin Mary, the Most Holy Theotokos (Theotokos means God-bearer). They were married for fifty years before their prayers for a child were answered. Fifty years of faithful prayer and trust in God. And the struggle and pain they experienced because of their barrenness was rewarded with the incredible honor of being able to be called the Grandparents of God.

God is faithful and He answers prayer. But perhaps sometimes we would do well to remember that the transformation which occurs when we pray and wait on Him can be a part of the answer.





4 comments:

  1. "All things work together for the good of those who love him ..." even the desert. Thanks, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so, good! And, can I borrow the book when you're done? I saw it in a catalog, so I recognized it when you mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I'll probably be done by the time you guys come in a couple weeks.

      Delete

I really enjoy feedback and discussion, so please don't hesitate to comment!