Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Wednesdays with Words :: The Little Prince

Thank you to Dawn for hosting Wednesdays with Words! I've missed this and I'm glad to share again.  


We are currently reading The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. It's my first time through this beautiful little book and I'm finding that it's very sweet and quite refreshing. 

My favorite passage so far (I've included more of the passage for context, but you can skip to the italicized part if you want - that's what I really wanted to share):


"... if you tame me, my life will be filled with sunshine. I'll know the sound of footsteps that will be different from all the rest. Other footsteps send me back underground. Yours will call me out of my burrow like music. And then, look! You see the wheat fields over there? I don't eat bread. For me wheat is of no use whatever. Wheat fields say nothing to me. Which is sad. But you have hair the color of gold. So it will be wonderful, once you've tamed me! The wheat, which is golden, will remind me of you. And I'll love the sound of the wind in the wheat..."
  
The fox fell silent and stared at the little prince for a long while. "Please... tame me!" he said.

"I'd like to," the little prince replied, "but I haven't much time. I have friends to find and so many things to learn."

"The only things you learn are the things you tame," said the fox. "People haven't time to learn anything. They buy things ready-made in stores. But since there are no stores where you can buy friends, people no longer have friends. If you want a friend, tame me!" 


and then a bit later, more wisdom from the fox:

"People have forgotten this truth," the fox said.  "But you mustn't forget it. You become responsible forever for what you've tamed..."



10 comments:

  1. Oooh. I love that section of The Little Prince. What interesting ways of talking about relationships and learning.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been thinking about this idea of taming and how it relates to education. Really interesting.

      Delete
  2. This book is on my Classics Club list TBR soon! Thanks for sharing this most intriguing passage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I wish I'd read it sooner!

      Delete
  3. Confession: I need to try to read this book again. I know it is a classic and it's quite short, but I guess I didn't get it right off, so I gave up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I'm not sure I would have been ready to read this before now. Sometimes we have to have had certain experiences and thoughts before we can really get a book. So you might find that it makes more sense when you go back to it.

      Delete
  4. I've had it for years and have never got to it. Thanks for the quotes, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it when you get to read it. Our copy is a library copy, but I think I'm going to buy it.

      Delete
  5. I read it in Spanish and loved it. Now I owe a copy of it in English. Once some time ago, I attempted it with my girls and it did not click. I think it is quite philosophic and deep, maybe it is time for a new try soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I enjoyed it much more than my children. But they did all listen attentively and said they liked it, so that's something. :)

      Delete

I really enjoy feedback and discussion, so please don't hesitate to comment!