Saturday, June 28, 2014

Words from Dostoyevsky

I'm almost done with The Brothers Karamozov. I'd forgotten how good it is. Here are a few passages that made it into my Commonplace book.
 The Brothers Karamozov


Words from Part I:

The more I love humanity in general, the less I love man in particular.

... love in action is a harsh and dreadful thing compared to love in dreams. 

...active love is labor and fortitude, and for some people too, perhaps, a complete science.  


Words from Part II:
Remember particularly that you cannot be a judge of anyone. For no one can judge a criminal, until he recognizes that he is just such a criminal as the man standing before him, and that he perhaps is more than all men to blame for that crime. 

 If I had been righteous myself, perhaps there would have been no criminal standing before me.

For how can a man shake off his habits, what can become of him if he is in such bondage to the habit of satisfying the innumerable desires he has created for himself?  





2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    Nice to find your blog.
    I once read some of this wonderful book, but I got distracted and left it. Now, you have given me new desire of reading it.
    I am hoping one day we read this title or a Russian author at the AO book club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Silvia!

      You should definitely revisit The Brothers Karamozov when you can. Dostoevsky has an amazing understanding of the human heart and expresses it so eloquently. I hope there's a book club on a Russian author at AO too. I'd love to participate in that.

      Delete

I really enjoy feedback and discussion, so please don't hesitate to comment!