Monday, April 14, 2014

I behold Thy bridal chamber

Thy bridal chamber I see adorned, O my Savior, but I have no wedding garment that I may enter. O Giver of Light, enlighten the vesture of my soul, and save me. 

Here it is set to music (although slightly different translation): 




The thought of not having a wedding garment is a bit scary and one worries that one will be left out in the dark while everyone else goes in to feast like the foolish virgins. But here is a great solution:

Let us clothe ourselves in Him who clothes Himself in light as a garment,
So that by the intercessions of the most pure Mother and Virgin Theotokos,
We may receive forgiveness of our sins,
And cry to Him with compunction:
Save us, Lord, from the condemnation of those on Your left hand,
And make us worthy to stand at Your right hand,
For You are the merciful lover of man!
(from Matins on Thursday, 6th week of Lent)

"Let us clothe ourselves in Him..." Let us put on Christ once more as we did in our baptism. Let us look to Him to provide a suitable wedding garment for each of us so that we may enter in and partake of the great feast! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy feedback and discussion, so please don't hesitate to comment!