Saturday, April 12, 2014

Holy Week

Today marks the beginning of Holy Week. For me this is the most wonderful time of year and I always look forward to it, whether Lent has been good and fruitful or whether it has been extremely challenging and seems completely unsuccessful. I will be sharing some of my favorite hymns from the services this week, some with music (the female voice in some of the recordinngs is me, by the way) others just the words. This week is exhausting and exhilarating and just altogether wonderful. I will not make it to every service this year, but because I have been to every service at some point in my life, I know what is happening even when I'm not there and I still feel able to participate in spirit, if not in body. Holy Week transcends the boundaries of time and brings us together with our Christ in His sufferings and humiliation, but we are also very cognizant of His triumph over death and the joy of that knowledge permeates everything!

Today we begin with the reading of Lazarus from the dead, prefiguring the resurrection of all men thanks to God's bountiful love.

O Christ our God
When Thou didst raise Lazarus from the dead before Thy passion
Thou didst confirm the resurrection of the universe.
Wherefore we like children, carry the banners of triumph and victory
And we cry to Thee, O Conqueror of death,
"Hosanna in the highest! Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord!"





No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy feedback and discussion, so please don't hesitate to comment!