Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Wednesdays with Words : Milton


I've been pondering the role of husband and wife quite a bit over the past few years, but especially recently after listening to this podcast. So when I came across these lines from Milton they stood out to me: 

Eve speaking to Adam:

God is thy law, thou mine: to know no more
Is woman's happiest knowledge and her praise. 


Here are some other lines, not related to the topic of husband/wife roles; I just think they are beautiful.

Adam to Eve after her dream from Satan:

Evil into the mind of god or man
May come and go, so unapproved, and leave
No spot or blame behind: which gives me hope
That what in sleep thou didst abhor to dream,
Waking thou never wilt consent to do.

When he sees Eve crying because of feeling bad about the dream:

Two other precious drops that ready stood,
Each in their crystal sluice, he ere they fell
Kissed as the gracious signs of sweet remorse
And pious awe, that feared to have offended. 


Adam to the Archangel Raphael, a wonderful example of true generosity:

Our heavenly stranger; well we may afford
Our givers their own gifts, and large bestow
From large bestowed, where nature multiplies
Her fertile growth, and by disburdening grows
More fruitful, which instructs us not to spare. 


Linking up with Cindy at Ordo Amoris for Wednesdays with Words. 






1 comment:

  1. I love it when someone adds poetry. I read Paradise Lost a few years ago and already feel the need to read it again.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy feedback and discussion, so please don't hesitate to comment!