Sunday, January 12, 2014

Weekends with Chesterton :: What's Wrong with the World



Linking up with Sarah at Amongst Lovely Things for Weekends with Chesterton. The following is from What's Wrong with the World:


Public abuses are so prominent and pestilent that they sweep all generous people into a sort of fictitious unanimity. We forget that, while we agree about the abuses of things, we should differ very much about the uses of them. 

What is wrong [with the world] is that we do not ask what is right. 


This is exactly why it's so important to expose ourselves and our children to the True, the Good and the Beautiful: if they don't have a standard to measure themselves against then everything becomes relative and anything goes.








4 comments:

  1. Not only do we fail to ask what is right, we fail to admit that there is a right answer to that question! Relativism has become so all encompassing that I don't think most people who buy into it really would if they stopped long enough to think about it.

    Great quote- thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly - the True, the Good and the Beautiful. This is the standard I set long ago for myself and my children and I'm finding great fruit from it in the face of some challenging situations in my life. I will have to check out 'What's Wrong with the World' next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is true. I can sometimes get focused on what is wrong with our culture and how far we've gone from Christian principles. But God is still here and active and doing beautiful things in lives. And there is beauty and goodness everywhere if we look beyond the bad things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quote!
    Happy to stop by!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy feedback and discussion, so please don't hesitate to comment!