Saturday, January 18, 2014

Weekends with Chesterton :: the future and the past




Linking up with Sarah at Amongst Lovely Things for Weekends with Chesterton.

...men invent new ideals because they dare not attempt old ideals. They look forward with enthusiasm, because they are afraid to look back.
Among the many things that leave me doubtful about the modern habit of fixing eyes on the future, none is stronger than this: that all the men in history who have really done anything with the future have had their eyes fixed upon the past.  

I keep thinking that maybe when I post my Chesterton quotes for the week that I might like to add some commentary. But when read them again I always come away with the conclusion that he has already said it just fine. There's nothing for me to add!


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for putting them up - I enjoy the way one little quote provides food for thought for the whole day! (or lifetime?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I find that too! He says it so well, it's difficult to expound on it. :) This is an excellent quote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. I love when I have words or even phrases floating around in my head for awhile and I can make all kinds of connections that would have been missed if I'd not stopped to chew on them a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is very thought-provoking. I read a book once called The Classical Tradition which was basically on that subject -- that people tend to have their most creative eras (the Renaissance comes to mind) when they are looking back at older, noble traditions.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy feedback and discussion, so please don't hesitate to comment!