Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Wednesdays with Words: You become what you behold

When I read the following quote by Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos (which I came across here) I was reminded of Andrew Kern's words: "we become what we behold."

I firmly believe, however, that what a child receives in the course of his upbringing is not the knowledge that his parents happen to have or the advice they give, however wise it may be, but above all what his parents themselves are. We do not offer children what we know; rather, we offer them what we ourselves are.

Powerful words.



7 comments:

  1. They are powerful words. In one sense it's a bit scarey but in another I'd rather my children pick up what I am, because I don't really know that much; I do know the work of God in my life is real & obvious to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. God's grace covers what we lack and it's more important for them to see that. I feel like with all my failings, at least my children can benefit from seeing me repent and try again every time.

      Delete
  2. I was just on the Circe website this morning reading a few articles for inspiration. You and I are on the same wave length...great quote...powerful words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice to know someone else is on the same wavelength. That doesn't happen to me often. ;)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It is a bit scary and depressing, but that just makes it a good reminder that we can't do it all on our own. "My grace is sufficient for you, my strength is made perfect in weakness."

      Delete
  4. These words are so true. This something I learned years ago when my husband and I worked in a small Christian School. As much as you put into a child, the parents influence was stronger.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy feedback and discussion, so please don't hesitate to comment!